Two weeks ago, I noticed that the touch pad containing volume control and WiFi have stopped working and I would like to share how I managed to fix it with my readers who have become victims of the same cause.
First step was software approach, which involved downloading and updating the necessary drivers via the official HP website : http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/4041735/model/4121248
(Please note that my laptop runs Microsoft Windows 7, so choose the appropriate operating system from the website).
After upgrading all the drivers, the problem seemed to persist. I had to do some research on the problem and found out that it was an issue with hardware. Alright, don’t be frightened now as the steps to fix the problem are quite easy. Please follow the procedure given below :
- Shut down the laptop if it is on.
- Remove any peripherals and the power cord attached to the laptop.
- Eject the battery of the laptop as shown in Figure 2 given below (Please note that the figure contains a DV6 1245 dx laptop but the position of the battery would be the same).
- Press and hold the power button of the laptop for 30 seconds.
- Replace the battery and boot the laptop up.
Finally, the touch pad containing volume and WiFi controls came back to life. Hope this helps.
 HP Pavlion DV6 2190us touchpad containing volume controls. 2015. [ONLINE] Available at: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71-jUupoh%2BL._SL1500_.jpg. [Accessed 15 September 2015].
 HP Pavilion DV6 1245 dx battery. 2015. [ONLINE] Available at: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/NJZZruvHdEkReI6l.medium. [Accessed 15 September 2015].