Do you go to the cinema just to watch a movie on a big screen or does sound play an important role in your entertainment? If you are a person who needs to feel every “thud” and “boom” in a movie, this blog post will surely fantasise you because it is about Dolby Atmos : The technology which helps to produce these amazing sound effects.
Dolby Atmos ensures that the audience hears the sounds produced in movies exactly the way the filmmakers intended. Full creative control over the placement and movement of sound around the audience is provided. Dolby Atmos uses an innovative layered approach to building a soundtrack. A base layer consists of static ambient sounds, which are mixed using the channel-based method. Dynamic audio elements are layered on top of the base layer that can be positioned and moved precisely to match images onscreen to the audio.
Here are some benefits of Dolby Atmos :
- Creates clearer, more accurately positioned cinema sound; uses object-oriented mixing to layer independent sound elements over channel-based audio content
- Captures all the director’s intent as descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for each theatre
- Automatically generates optimum soundtracks for theatres with 5.1- and 7.1-channel setups
- Delivers a rich, realistic sound experience through support for up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio elements in a mix
- Scales easily to any size theatre, with up to 64 independent speaker outputs
Given below is a diagram illustrating speaker setups for Dolby Atmos, 5.1 surround speakers and Dolby Surround 7.1 :
Figure : Speaker configuration for Dolby Atmos, 5.1 surround speakers and Dolby Surround 7.1
The table given below gives an overview of the comparison between Dolby Atmos, 5.1 surround speakers and Dolby Surround 7.1 :
Table : Comparison between Dolby Atmos, 5.1 surround speakers and Dolby Surround 7.1
Reference : Cinema Sound Technology – Dolby Atmos . 2014. Cinema Sound Technology – Dolby Atmos . [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html. [Accessed 20 April 2014].